Got Questions?

If  you do not find what you are looking for in the following list, please use the form below.

1What do I need to do to start new service?

You will have to come to our business office to obtain new service.  You need to bring with you the following; a picture ID, closing papers, and a deposit.  If the property has never had water before, you will also need to obtain an occupancy permit from the Building Department.

2How do I end my service?

Contact our business office 24 hours in advance to schedule a final reading.  If the property is going to be vacant, we will need to schedule a day to remove the water meter and shut off the water.   On the scheduled day of these services, someone will need to be at the property to let our employee in.

3How long does the Water Department keep my deposit?

Our office will keep the deposit until you discontinue service and your account is paid in full.

4Who do I speak to concerning a shut off notice?

Please call the main office to speak to a customer service representative at (219)853-6421.

5Why is my water bill so high?

Nine out of ten times, the answer is inefficient plumbing.  Toilet leaks cause most high bills.

6How do I know if my toilet is leaking?

If you have to jiggle the handle on the toilet, you have a toilet leak that can cause a high bill.  Another way to find a toilet leak is to put food coloring in the tank of the toilet.  You need to wait one hour and not flush the toilet.  If the color goes in the bowl, you have a toilet leak.

7Is my water hard or soft?

Hammond’s water is considered moderately hard.

8Why is my water pressure so bad?

Low water pressure can be indicative of several problems or situations.  If water pressure is lower than usual at one source (faucet, tub, hose, etc) but sufficient in the rest of the building,it is safe to assume that the fixture itself and/or the pipe feeding the fixture needs to be repaired or replaced at the property owner’s expense.  It could be something as simple as a clogged faucet screen.  If water pressure is lower than usual over the entire building, this could indicate a water meter problem, aging or undersized plumbing (including the service line), or a significant leak on the service line.  The water department should be contacted at (219)853-6421, should you experience a decrease in water pressure over the entire building.

9Who is responsible for maintenance of the water service line to my property?

Underground water services to individual buildings are not owned by the City of Hammond, but are owned and maintained by the property owner.  Underground water mains that serve the entire neighborhoods are part of the city’s distribution system, and the city is therefore responsible for their maintenance.

10How do I get my service line located?

Please contact Distribution at (219)853-6428.

11I see a water leak in the street. How do I get someone to check it out? How long will the water be off?

All main breaks are considered an emergency situation.  Contact Distribution at (219)853-6428.  A repair crew will be dispatched as soon as possible.  The time water is off will be affected by many factors, including weather conditions, location of main break, size of main, type of main break, depth of main, etc.,  The crew will attempt to notify all affected customers and businesses and will work to have the water turned on as soon as possible.

12What do I do if my pipes freeze in the winter?

If your pipes should freeze, the first thing to do is locate the house shut off valve in case the frozen pipe burst.  It is usually located on your water service pipeline immediately after it enters the basement wall.  You should then contact a plumber for repairs.

13Why is the water brown?

Brown water is caused by iron and other materials stirred up in the water mains.  This can be caused by a water main break, Street Department sweepers pulling water from hydrants, Water Department crews flushing out hydrants, etc,.  The water is safe to drink, but do not wash whites, since they will discolor.  If you are experiencing this problem, simply turn on any COLD WATER FAUCET (do NOT turn on the hot water faucet) and let the cold water run for a few minutes.  If the water does not clear, contact Distribution at (219)853-6428.

14Why is my water cloudy?

If the water is cloudy, it will clear up after it sits for a short time.  Cloudiness in the water is caused by air in the distribution lines.  However, cloudiness that DOES NOT CLEAR may be calcium.  If you have this problem, contact Filtration at (219)853-6439

15What can I do to maintain my water heater?

It is suggested that each homeowner flush out their water heater on an annual basis.  This helps remove sediment and buildup in the bottom of the water heater that will help your unit run more efficiently and may extend the life of your unit.  Consult your owner’s manual on how to perform this and other maintenance procedures.

16Does my water contain lead?

Hammond uses a corrosion inhibitor which helps to prevent lead from leaching into the water.

17Is water treated with chlorine safe to drink?

Many studies have shown that the presence of chlorine in tested water is not a factor in whether the water is safe or not to drink, although some people object to the taste and smell.  The addition of chlorine during the treatment process is necessary to protect against potential bacterial contamination.  Chlorine may be removed from water by simply putting an uncovered container of tap water in the refrigerator and letting it sit for a couple of hours.

18What are the white particles sometimes found in my faucet aerators?

There’s a growing problem across America today, triggered by residential water heart dip tubes made from inferior polymer plastic.  These tubes are literally going to pieces in the tank, causes hot water shortages and polluting household plumbing systems with white plastic particles.  When owners find these particles floating in their water or clogging their aerators, they often call their water agency to complain.  Why? Because these consumers think they have a water quality problem, not a water heater problem.

19How do I obtain information on the chemical analysis of the water at tap?

The Annual Report has this information in it.  If you require more information, contact the Filtration Plant at (219)853-6439.

20Why does my water taste or smell moldy or musty?

Taste and odor problems are usually associated with algae growth or algae by-products.  Algae releases non-toxic, odorant chemicals that can affect the taste of your water.

Didn’t find the answer?